The College has established a new category of licence for those who are training to be Patent or Trademark Agents.
Registration as a Patent Agent or Trademark Agent in Training (a Class 3 Licensee) requires an application to the Registrar. An applicant for this class must demonstrate Canadian residency, good character, fitness to practice and language proficiency in English or French.
First time applicants
- First time applicants must have a contractual relationship with a registered Patent Agent, a representative of the Patent Office, a Trademark Agent or a representative of the Office of the Registrar of Trademarks, who agrees to supervise the work of a trainee.
- Until the requirements of the training agreement are determined, applicants must request their supervisor submit the Trainee Supervisor Application Form to support the application.
Those who have commenced Training
- Individuals who have commenced their training requirements but not yet written any examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training, whether or not they plan to write exams in 2023.
- Individuals who will complete their training in advance of the 2023 Qualifying Examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training by no later than June 30, 2023, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- Individuals who have attempted, but have not been successful with one or more parts/papers of the Qualifying Examinations, must apply to register as Agents in Training (if not done so already) by no later than June 30, 2023, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- The deadline for registering for the 2023 Trademark Agent Qualifying Examination is August 11, 2023, and the 2023 Patent Agent Qualifying Examination is September 15, 2023.
The fee to apply for a class 3 agent in training licence is $250.00 plus taxes.
Fees for the 2023 Qualifications Exams are $350 per part/paper.