The College has established a new category of licence for those who are training to be Patent or Trademark Agents.
Registration as a Patent Agent or Trademark Agent in Training (a Class 3 Licensee) requires an application to the Registrar. An applicant for this class must demonstrate Canadian residency, good character, fitness to practice and language proficiency in English or French.
First time applicants
- First time applicants must have a contractual relationship with a registered Patent Agent, a representative of the Patent Office, a Trademark Agent or a representative of the Office of the Registrar of Trademarks, who agrees to supervise the work of a trainee.
- In 2022 applicants for a Class 3 License will require a training agreement with a Trainee Supervisor (an individual approved by the College to supervise Agents in Training for the 24-month training requirement). The content of training agreements will be developed in the coming months.
Those who have commenced Training
- Individuals who have commenced their training requirements but not yet written any examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training, whether or not they plan to write exams in 2022.
- Individuals who will complete their training in advance of the 2022 Qualifying Examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training by no later than July 29, 2022, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- Individuals who have attempted, but have not been successful with one or more parts/papers of the Qualifying Examinations, must apply to register as Agents in Training by no later than July 29, 2022, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- The deadline for registering for the 2022 Trademark Agent Qualifying Examination is September 9, 2022, and the 2022 Patent Agent Qualifying Examination is October 7, 2022.
The fee to apply for a class 3 agent in training licence is $250.00 plus taxes.
Fees for the 2022 Qualifications Exams are $350 per part/paper.