- “Applicant” means an individual who has applied to the College to be a Patent Agent or Trademark in Training.
- “Agent” means an individual registered with the College as a Patent Agent or Trademark Agent;
The College’s registration program ensures individuals applying to be an Agent in Training meet the Canadian residence, good character, fitness to practise, language proficiency, and supervised training requirements.
Upon reviewing an application, the Registrar may take one of the following actions:
- Register the applicant, with or without restrictions. If restrictions are required, a decision with reasons will be provided with instructions for appealing the decision to the Registration Committee; or
- Refuse to register the applicant. In this case, a decision with reasons will be provided with instructions for appealing the decision to the Registration Committee; or
- Request additional information. In this case, the Registrar was unable to render a decision based on the information provided and will reconsider the application with new submissions.
Upon approval of the application, the Registrar must set the effective date for the licence.
Applications will be closed when an applicant:
- has not provided the requested documents or information; and
- has not demonstrated any attempts or progress towards accessing the requested documents or information within a specified timeframe.
Applicants may request an extension of time to submit requested documents or information.
Application fees will not be refunded for applications that are closed.
If an application is closed, a new application, with any supporting documentation and information required at that time, must be filed.
- An individual will submit the Agent in Training (Class 3) Registration Application Form, the required application fees and the supporting documentation outlined on the application Checklist.
- Registration staff will acknowledge receipt of the application, enter the application into College’s membership database, process the application fee and review the application for completion.
- Registration staff will follow up twice with applicants if documentation or information are missing from their submission, or if additional documentation or information is required for the Registrar’s review.
- If the applicant does not provide the requested documentation or information within 30 days of the first follow up request, Registration staff will send a second follow up request. If the applicant does not provide the requested documentation or information and has not demonstrated any attempts or progress towards accessing the requested documents or information within 30 days from the second request, the application file will be closed. Applicants whose applications were closed for failure to provide the requested documentation or information will be notified in writing.
- Applicants may request an extension to submit the requested documents or information to the Director, Registration & Education at email@example.com.
- Registration staff will prepare completed applications for the Registrar’s review and decision.
- The Registrar will consider the application and render a decision.
- Registration staff will communicate the Registrar’s decision to the applicant, in writing, and will provide instructions for appealing the decision to the Registration Committee should the Registrar decide to deny the application for any reason.