The College has established a new category of licence for those who are training to be Patent or Trademark Agents.
Registration as a Patent Agent or Trademark Agent in Training (a Class 3 Licensee) requires an application to the Registrar. An applicant for this class must demonstrate Canadian residency, good character, fitness to practice and language proficiency in English or French.
First time applicants
- First time applicants must have a contractual relationship with a registered Patent Agent, a representative of the Patent Office, a Trademark Agent or a representative of the Office of the Registrar of Trademarks, who agrees to supervise the work of a trainee.
- In 2022 applicants for a Class 3 License will require a training agreement with a Trainee Supervisor (an individual approved by the College to supervise Agents in Training for the 24-month training requirement). The content of training agreements will be developed in the coming months.
Those who have commenced Training
- Individuals who have commenced their training requirements but not yet written any examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training, whether or not they plan to write exams in 2021.
- Individuals who will complete their training in advance of the 2021 Qualifying Examinations must apply to register as Agents in Training by no later than August 31, 2021, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- Individuals who have attempted, but have not been successful with one or more parts/papers of the Qualifying Examinations, must apply to register as Agents in Training by no later than August 31, 2021, and register for the exam by the deadlines noted below.
- The deadline for registering for the 2021 Trademark Agent Qualifying Examination is October 1, 2021, and the 2021 Patent Agent Qualifying Examination is October 29, 2021.
There is no fee for the Class 3 application process in 2021.
Fees for the 2021 Qualifications Exams are $200 per paper.